Tuesday, 11 August 2015

Tulips in August

With longing for spring and colder weather I made  tulips. The pattern called "Amsterdam Quilt" is a free one from the Cloud9 Fabrics websiteI used beautiful - a little bit modern, a little bit retro - Soft Cactus fabrics. 



I really liked the patterns and colors. And I like too touch them  - it's very soft, combed cotton. I used in  total nine different patterns of those fabrics and each tulip is different. 



For the first time I quilted the whole quilt using a free motion quilting technique. It worked well, but I need definitely more practice. The problem is I prefer the straight quilting which  emphasizes the pattern of patchwork itself.  But this project was perfect for the free motion quilting.


The quilt is about  38 inch x 52 inch. The backing is made from different cotton, not from Soft Cactus but it matches quite well.